What is Vaping?
"Vaping is the act of inhaling and exhaling the water vapor produced by an electric device called vaporizer (or e-cigarette)."
And if you're wondering what is water vapor or vapor, it's the e-liquid in gaseous form that is inhaled and exhaled by vapers. It usually looks thicker than smoke, but dissipates more quickly into the air and smells much better, usually like fruit, candy, mint or the flavoring being used.
Vaping is a tobacco-free and nicotine-free, version of a traditional tobacco cigarette, but we don't use the word smoking as there is no smoke. For a better understanding for those who don't possess enough knowledge about vaping, I would say it's smoking minus tobacco, the obnoxious smell, virtually all the side-effects and health risks, and even the smoke. Instead of a pack of cigarettes, you use an electronic device which is usually refillable and rechargeable.
How Does it Work?
A vape or vaporizer consists of a mouthpiece, battery, cartridge, and an atomizer or cartomizer. A cartomizer is a modern replacement for atomizer that combines an atomizer and the cartridge into one unit. The cartridge contains the e-liquid or e-juice, while atomizer has a heating element, usually a thin metallic coil that is heated by the power generated by the battery. When a user takes a drag on the mouthpiece, the battery heats up the coil, a cotton wick absorbs e-Juice from the cartridge and when it gets in contact with the coil, which is hotter than the boiling point of the e-liquid, it naturally turns into vapor. This vapor is then inhaled by the user that reaches his lungs and is then exhaled. The e-Juice usually consists of PG/VG blend, and flavoring.
What is E Juice?
So now that you understand that vaping isn't smoking, the next question most people have is what is in that liquid that's being atomized into vapor?e-Juice is normally composed of up to 4 major ingredients:
- VG (Vegetable Glycerine) The Base makes up 80-90% of e-juice and is composed of 100% VG or a mix with PG. Common ratios are 100% VG, 70% VG/30% PG, and 50/50 PG/VG. It is widely used in all types of food and personal care products like toothpaste. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol
- PG (Propylene Glycol) Commonly mixed with VG as the base for e-juice and carries the flavour
- Flavour can range between 10%-20%, depending on the manufacturer. All the e-juice QA Vaping manufactures uses Food grade flavourings originally intended for baking or candy making. Here is an excerpt from the one of the many Flavour companies website: "All of our materials are food grade (where applicable) and adhere to standards set down in the USP, NF or FCC (U.S.Pharmacopoeia, National Formulary, and Food Chemical Codex).
- Distilled water is sometimes used to dilute if needed.
That's it. From as little as 2 ingredients (VG and flavour) to as many as 4, and all used regularly in food products. Remember, the important thing is what e-juice
doesn't contain: the 4000+ chemicals that are found in a cigarette.
Is Vaping Safe?
Well, this is a question that usually follows the question what is vaping. So, instead of giving you my personal opinion, let me simply state the results of some of the researches carried out to find the answer:
- "Vaping is at least 95% safer than smoking." Public Health England
- Vaporizers are many times less harmful than traditional tobacco cigarettes, and vaping can even help smokers quit. American Heart Association
- The proven advantages of vaping outweigh its "potential" harms. Vaporizers are the first genuinely new way of helping people quit smoking that we have seen in many years. Royal College of Physicians
- Exhaled vapor has lesser volatile organic compounds than the normal exhaled breath, let alone exhaled smoke. Spanish Council of Scientific Research
So, is vaping safe? Well, despite all these researches and studies, we can't say that vaporizers pose absolutely no threat to your health. But hey, even the healthiest foods you eat aren't 100% safe. So let's put the answer this way: vaping is exponentially safer than smoking, and can be a great aid in harm-reduction.
Vaping vs Smoking
So what is the advantage of switching from cigarettes to vaping?
Don't have that distinctive odour
Just about anyone knows – cigarettes smell!! It's their hallmark.
If you're a smoker reading this, you can certainly relate to this point – cigarettes are expensive these days.
With vaping, you're not burning an open flame and don't have a hot cherry that can burn you, your clothes, your furniture, and so on.
Vaping is healthier - cigarettes are harmful to your health.